Reader Alert Issued by the ASPCA
Urge Congress to Ban Horse Slaughter in 2012
Dear Equine Advocates,
Thank you for contacting U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Tom Vilsack last week to urge him to reject any application to operate a horse slaughter facility in the U.S. Now we need your voice again—we must remind Congress and the White House that 80% of Americans oppose horse slaughter. Help us keep the spotlight on this important issue!
Now more than ever, it is critical that we do all we can to get Congress to pass theAmerican Horse Slaughter Prevention Act. If passed, this legislation would achieve two things: It would prohibit the export of our horses to other countries for slaughter, and it would completely ban horse slaughter for human consumption in the United States.
While there is no commercial horse slaughter occurring here currently, proponents are working to resume it. A slaughter facility in New Mexico has already applied for government approval to slaughter horses.
The ASPCA is working on many fronts to stop horse slaughter, but Capitol Hill must hear from you. The federal budget bills for 2013 are coming soon, and as advocates work to get the horse slaughter ban passed, we must also make sure that no tax dollars are allocated for inspections of U.S. horse slaughterhouses.
What You Can Do
Visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center online right now to quickly email your U.S. senators to thank them if they have cosponsored S. 1176 or, if they have not, ask them to cosponsor the bill and stand up for America’s horses.
Please also call the White House message line at (202) 456-1111 and urge the Obama administration to stop horse slaughter! Here’s all you need to say: “Please use your power to prevent any horse slaughterhouses from opening in the U.S. and to prevent the slaughter of our horses in other countries. Horses are not raised for food. This is industry is cruel to horses and endangers consumers, who are eating a toxic product.”
Act now, before it’s too late! Thank you, America.
- Breaking News: Summit of the Slaughter Horse Canceled (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Anti-Horse Group Stumbles in Attempt to Justify Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Congress Considering Ending Horse Slaughter Once And For All (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Animals’ Angels: Dennis Chavez Slaughter Horse Feedlot in New Mexico (rtfitchauthor.com)
- BLM Nat. Wild Horse and Burro “Slaughter” Advisory Board Meets Today (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse Slaughter Bill Dies Quiet Death in TN (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Poll Finds Big Ag Horse Slaughter Promotion Has Backfired (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Trucker tells chilling account of driving horses to slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Radical Wyoming Politician’s Horse Slaughter Plans Challenged in Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Moran Calls for Ban on Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Experts Calling for Horse Slaughter Ban Unite at 2012 American Equine Summit (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Saving Horses from Slaughter: NH Boy Blogs, Testifies before Legislature about why Practice must be Halted (rtfitchauthor.com)