Unedited, less header, Press Release from the Needles CA office of the BLM
Wild Burro Herd Slated for Destruction in September
The Bureau of Land Management will begin roundup operations to remove wild burros from the Piute Mountain Herd Area, approximately 25 miles west of Needles in San Bernardino County, in which herds of wild horses and burros are not managed. Fenner Spring is the only water source within the Piute Mountain HA that burros have access to. Due to the unpredictable variations of the water output of the spring, expected drought conditions, and the burros dependency on this sole water source to survive, continued efforts are being made to remove the burros from the Piute Mountain HA.
The action would utilize helicopter assisted gathers and bait trapping. Captures would be conducted by BLM in-house or by BLM contracted vendor. The capture methods could be used singly or in conjunction with one another. The first phase of the operations is planned to begin in September 2012 and is expected to continue for approximately two days. Subsequent actions may occur at any time during the next five years to address the need for burro removals from the Piute Mountain Herd Area.
All removed burros will be placed into the BLM’s Wild Horse and Burro Adoption Program. The health and welfare of all the animals will be given the highest priority.
An Environmental Assessment is availbe for the Piute Mountain Herd Area burro removal.
For more information on the Wild Horse and Burro Program, call 866-468-7826 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Wild Horse and Burro Bait-Trapping: Going … Going … Gone (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Mother Nature Gives West Douglas Herd a 30 Day Reprieve (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Wild Horse Advocates Level Another Legal Blow Against BLM’s Bogus Emergency Gather (rtfitchauthor.com)
- BLM Succeeds in Decimating Cloud the Wild Stallion’s Herd, AGAIN! (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Total Removal of Historic Colorado Mustang Herd Denied (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Wild Horse Groups File Preemptive “Motion for Stay” to Stop Possible Back-Door BLM Roundup (rtfitchauthor.com)