News Update from Wild Horse Freedom Federation
Making Policy on the Fly, as Usual
As predicted by many wild horse and burro advocates the BLM has decided to keep and forever imprison the wild horses it has stampeded and captured in the Nevada Wassuk Herd Management area under the guise of an “emergency” and a trumped up excuse that it is for the benefit of the horses.
In a recent news interview Terri Knutson, BLM Stillwater Field Manager stated;
“These horses are in such poor condition, it’s not really an option to release them back to the same circumstances they came from. Lack of forage because of excessive drought conditions and overpopulation of animals are worse than it has been in years.”
The BLM’s original plan was to stampede and capture 475 wild horses and permanently remove 250 wild horses from their rightful range. As many as 250 wild horses were promised to be released back to the range following the helicopter stampede—mares having been vaccinated with a fertility vaccine and a skewed sex ratio of 60 percent males and 40 percent females on the range to further hasten the herd’s destruction.
But by using the new anti-horse tool of “emergency” and “we care about the horses” the BLM claims that due to poor body condition of the majority of the captured and imprisoned horses won’t be released back into the wild. This action circumvents standing Environmental Assessments and any pending legal litigation as to the BLM strives to manage America’s wild horses and burros into extinction.
The BLM estimated, with no third party verification, that the pre-stampede population was approximately 625 wild horses and their unjustified appropriate management level for the HMA is 110-165. It is currently unknown how many wild horses will remain on their rightful land after the BLM wild horse harvesting machine has concluded it’s operation at Wassak.
The BLM continues to delude the public, and elected officials, on the the number of horses in the wild while selling captured horses to known killer buyer for slaughter and human consumption.
A Congressional Investigation is long over-due for this special interest pandering agency.
- Breaking News: BLM Plans Covert Elimination of NE California Wild Horse & Burro Herd (rtfitchauthor.com)
- BLM Wild Horse & Burro Advisory Board Member Endorses Horse Slaughter during Public Session (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Feds target 600 mustangs for removal from burnt range (horsetalk.co.nz)
- Video Update: Wild Horse Protection Groups Hold Press Conference at BLM Board Meeting (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Urgent: Stop the Twin Peaks Wild Horse & Burro Removal (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Probe under way into fate of 1700 wild horses – BLM (horsetalk.co.nz)
- Advocates decry BLM’s wild horse roundups at meeting in SLC (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Call for probe into fate of captive wild horses (horsetalk.co.nz)