Call your Senators on the Senate Appropriations Bill
This is extremely critical and one of the most important calls you will make. We have heard from several legislators that they are not hearing from us. We are down to the wire. We hear there will be a full senate vote this week so this is not the time to procrastinate.
Since this is a financial bill, please stick to the economics – not the humane issues surrounding slaughter. While we are concerned with the humane issues, they are perceived as “emotional” and don’t help, especially with financial bills. Comments should be factual and to the point. We will address humane issues with the legislation to end horse slaughter – S 1176.
Here are the 3 key messages we should send:
- The government should not be wasting valuable tax dollars to inspect animals that are not regulated as food animals. Slaughter is for food production and not the place to send excess or “unwanted” animals of any species. The limited funding dollars available for inspectors should be used to inspect our own food supply. (If they bring up the slaughter plants paying for their own inspections, remind them that this has already been challenged and the federal court ruled that it is a violation of the federal meat inspection act.)
- Every industry and business in our country has been impacted by the worst economy since the Great Depression. Horses are not an exception. The same number of horses are being slaughtered as when the plants were open proving there is no correlation between increases in neglect or a drop in horse prices and the availability of horse slaughter.
- The GAO report failed to take into account the simple economics of supply and demand. Horse slaughter encourages production of excess horses that continuously feeds the slaughter pipeline. The horse industry does not produce meat and the insignificant revenue from horse slaughter that represents 3 cents on every $100 earned, did not and will not take down the horse industry.
For more talking points on the GAO report:
Locate your senators (HERE).
Let us know if you need any additional information.
- GAO Follows Horse Slaughter Lobby Down the Rabbit Hole (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Critical Week In Stopping the Flow of Cross Border Horse Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- For Horse Lovers Everywhere: The Truth About Horse Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Letter to Horseback Online: EWA Official Calls Wallis Facebook Information Bogus (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- EWA Calls Out Welfare Ranching Publication (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Animal Law Coalition Responds to GAO Horse Slaughter Report (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- The Way Forward on Horse Welfare (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- GAO Releases Alleged Leaked Horse Slaughter Report (rtfitch.wordpress.com)