“When you have a horse slaughter facility come to your area horse theft goes right up,”
The Valley Meat Company near Roswell passed an inspection by the USDA in April, it is still awaiting its permit in order to start operations at what would be the country’s only horse slaughterhouse.
“When you have a horse slaughter facility come to your area horse theft goes right up,” said Patience O’Dowd, President of Wild Horse Observers Association, or WHOA.
O’Dowd is not alone in her concerns.
In an interview with KRQE News 13 O’Dowd said a majority of people who live in Placitas where wild horses graze on their property are worried about them too.
“They talk so much about, about taking them away and having them put in the slaughterhouse which we are just totally against,” said Placitas Resident Delilah Pohl-Anthony.
According to O’Dowd New Mexico’s wild horses have been targeted for slaughter in the past.
“Some did go to slaughter in Mexico and Texas,” O’Dowd said.
The going rate for a horse to be sold at auction for slaughter is between $200 and $300 according to O’Dowd.
“We just had births that we shouldn’t have had, the same as last spring,” said O’Dowd.
Some believe slaughter is a way to help manage the over-population of horses.
O’Dowd says there is a better alternative for New Mexico’s wild horses.
“We have to use birth control to manage these horses,” she said.
WHOA is pushing to be able to use PZP, a non-toxic immuno-contraceptive on the wild horses here.
In the meantime though they have petitioned the Governor and the President to reinstate the horse slaughter ban which would keep Valley Meats from opening.
- Ban Horse Slaughter and Transport of Horses for Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Confusion Reigns Over Opening of Controversial NM Horse Slaughter Plant (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Audio: NM Horse Slaughter Plant Faces More Hurdles (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Robert Redford Calls for Ban on Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Their View: No Inspectors Means No Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Video: Understanding the Forces Behind Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Market for Slaughter Horses Plunging in Wake of “Burger-gate” (rtfitchauthor.com)