SOURCE: Fox News Latino
The mayor of Colombia’s Buenavista municipality in the northern province of Sucre, Quintiliano Tapia, banned Monday the amateur bullfighting festivals known as “corralejas” following a scandal sparked by the dismembering of a live horse during one of those events.
The mayor was reacting to the public indignation that followed the airing of a video over the weekend showing how two men cut a horse to pieces that had been badly injured by a bull, all in the presence of children.
Tapia said in a statement on Blu Radio that he regretted the incident, adding that measures are being taken to identify those responsible and make them pay for what they did, and that meanwhile the running of the bulls and the “corralejas,” amateur bullfights in which anyone is allowed to take part, are banned.
“I wasn’t told what happened, but when we learned about it we did take drastic measures like suspending the bullfighting festivals,” he said.
The gory celebration came at a time when Colombians were getting over another video of animal torture from the festivals in the municipality of Turbaco in the neighboring province of Bolivar at the beginning of the month.
The video, posted on YouTube, showed how people in a bullring relentlessly pursued, harassed and hit the animal with sticks and stones until it fell down and was kicked and stabbed to death by some 20 individuals, who even jumped on top of it.
Because of incidents like these, the controversial “corralejas,” festivals that are common in Colombia’s northern provinces, have become the subject of heated debate around the country.