“18 months is a long time to wear these old fashioned, bulky and dangerous collars. And I hope that if any of these mares do run into trouble that the researchers at University of Wyoming are actually able to release the collars before the mares die. I still very firmly believe that the best way to study wild horses is in the field, without capturing them and removing them from their families, without endangering their lives with these dangerous radio collars.” – Carol Walker
The line of vehicles
On Saturday morning, on a very cold day, I joined up with the BLM, researcher from University of Wyoming and a BLM ranger as we caravaned out to Adobe Town to release wild mares that had been fitted with radio collars on Thursday. There were also some mares that had been being held for several weeks at the Rock Springs corrals, and I was very glad that they were finally being released. As usual, I was the only member of the public attending.
Meryl jumps out of the trailer
Her friend is just as eager to get out
We turned off at Bitter Creek Road, and started down the road, which was in good condition until after we passed Eversole Ranch. Then, as we continued south more and more big drifts of snow covered the road. The big truck towing the horse trailer in front was breaking through the drifts for the rest of us. After about 10 miles, we stopped, and let out the first collared mare, a light grey color, I am calling her Meryl. She jumped out and then her friend, a bay mare jumped out behind her.
Meryl turns to look at us
Meryl and her friend do not look concerned
Even though she was being let go about 20 – 25 miles from where she had been captured, at least she had a friend with her, unlike most of the mares who had been released before, all alone. They went a little way from the trailer, then turned around and looked at us, then casually strolling and exploring. They did not seem alarmed.
We got back into our vehicles, then stopped after 2 miles. After checking with the researcher, we got back in – despite the worsening road conditions he wanted us to go further away – they want these mares collars to be “spread out.” We kept going another 2 miles until stopping at a big snow drift – the truck and trailer were stuck in a huge snow drift! So they decided to let the remaining mares out here, just past Cow Camp, a collection of old derelict buildings.
A sorrel mare jumps out first
Read the rest of this article HERE.