Huntsville Horses may be in trouble
HOUSTON, (Horseback) – Unconfirmed reports reached Horseback Magazinelate Wednesday that Texas Prison Horses sold at auction in Huntsville recently may be among hordes of starved horses awaiting transport to slaughter at the border town of Presidio.
More than 30 of the prison horses were bought by a slaughter killer buyer based near Waco.
Presidio, long noted for consistently having the highest temperatures in the nation, sits along the Rio Grande in the Chihuahuan Desert. Reports reached Horseback early Wednesday that Ray Field had discovered the horses during a fly over near Big Ben Ranch, Texas largest state park.
Field allegedly noted from the air that horses were starving in record heat and some had perished and were laying dead on the ground.
Horseback has learned that a judge has issued a warrant, but it is unclear what sort of warrant was issued.
Field was in the area of Big Bend Ranch where Texas Parks and Wildlife confirmed to Horseback last week that wildlife management officials have shot 46 wild burros since resuming lethal eradication of the animals which cross the Rio Grande from the Sierra Del Carmen in Mexico.
The parks department claims the burros harm the ecosystem of the huge park which is 70 miles across.
Wild horse and burro advocates claim Texas Parks and Wildlife Department wants to eradicate the donkeys to make room for Big Horn Sheep, a native species coveted by big game hunters. The cash strapped department would allegedly charge large fees for permits to hunt big game.
Horseback will begin active coverage of the story Thursday.
Click (HERE) to visit Horseback and to comment
- Texas Prison Horses May be on One Way Trip to the Mexican Border (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Update:Texas Prison Horses Found in Waco (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Animal’s Angels Investigate Known Texas Horse Slaughter Buyer (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Once Again; Bill Introduced in Senate To Ban Predatory Horse Slaughter In U.S. (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- New Mexico Feedlot Sends Hundreds of Horses across Boarder to Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)