Information provided by the Equine Welfare Alliance
Gathering Plans to Separate Equine Fact from Fiction
Chicago (EWA) – A coalition of animal welfare groups including the Equine Welfare Alliance (EWA) and the Animal Law Coalition has announced the first International Equine Conference (IEC) to be held September 26-28 at the Marriott Residence Inn, Old Town Alexandria, Va.
The three day event will feature renowned experts on the welfare and preservation of both domestic and wild equines, legislators and medical experts. Presentations will address many aspects of the field ranging from horse slaughter to wild equine preservation and will include related human and animal health concerns.
“Few subjects have been clouded by so much misinformation as these”, says John Holland of the Equine Welfare Alliance, “We intend to provide a forum where attendees can get a documented, factual understanding of these complex issues.”
Among the many distinguished speakers will be Madeleine Pickens of Saving America’s Mustangs, Senator Mary Landrieu, Congressman Jim Moran, State Senator Dave Wanzenried, Paula Bacon the former mayor of Kaufman, TX, Ann Marini, Ph.D., M.D., Ginger Kathrens of The Cloud Foundation, Michael Blowen of Old Friends Thoroughbred Retirement Facility, Keith Dane with The Humane Society of the U.S., Lonita Stewart with Canadian Horse Defence Coalition, Katie Fite with Western Watersheds Project and authors Deanne Stillman and Alex Brown. A complete list of the presenters can be viewed at http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org/Int_l_Equine_Conference.html.
The conference will also feature two private film screenings for attendees. The sessions are split into horse slaughter, horse industry issues and protections for America’s wild horses and burros as well as in-depth discussions on fertility control.
“With the disinformation campaign being waged by horse slaughter proponents in full swing”, added EWA’s Vicki Tobin, “this is an opportune time to hear from the experts on the dangers to consumers of slaughtering animals that are not raised or regulated as food animals.”
Attendees will also hear a firsthand account of what it is like to live with a horse slaughter plant in your town from Mayor Bacon, and see the documented records of its outrageous pollution. Economics expert Caroline Betts, Ph.D., M.A., will “Demystify” the recent GAO study and explain what it really established and what it did not.
The sponsors and supporters of the conference encourage the public as well as those in the horse industry, to attend and finally hear from the experts the information that separates fact from fiction.
- International Equine Conference Announces Strategy Sessions (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Equine Advocacy Blog Hits 1 Million Viewer Milestone (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Dirty Little Secret: Canada’s Horse Slaughter Industry Under Fire (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- The Way Forward on Horse Welfare (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Invitation to Attend the International Equine Conference (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Equine Advocate Proves Horse Hating Wyoming Politician to be Inept (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- EWA Calls Out Welfare Ranching Publication (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Letter to Horseback Online: EWA Official Calls Wallis Facebook Information Bogus (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- The True Unintended Consequences of Horse Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- EWA Announces International Equine Conference Speakers (rtfitch.wordpress.com)