Update by Laura Allen of Animal Law Coalition
Congressional Intent to Fund Foreign Horse Slaughter Investors?
The Agriculture, Rural Development, Food and Drug, Administration, and Related Agencies Appropriations Committee has released its proposed appropriations budget for FY 2012.
The proposed bill does not include a provision de-funding inspections for horses to be slaughtered for human consumption. The proposed bill does not prohibit use of funds to inspect horses to be slaughtered for human consumption. The subcommittee report does not mention it.
It is the de-funding of these ante-mortem inspections in appropriations measures that has prohibited commercial horse slaughter for human consumption in the U.S. since 2007. Now, if the subcommittee bill passes, it could mean the return of commercial horse slaughter to the U.S.
WHAT YOU CAN DO
Call the Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-2131 or the Committee’s number at (202) 225-2638, (202) 225-2771 for Republicans and (202) 225-3481 for Democrat members. Here are the names of committee members to ask for when you call. Go here to find the direct phone numbers of committee members and for your own U.S. representative.
Tell committee members and your own U.S. representative: Vote no on the appropriations bill unless the committee retains the language defunding inspections of horses to be slaughtered for human consumption!
- Wyoming Horse Slaughter Politician Sued for Alleged Assualt and Battery (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Interview: Reporter Scoops Story on Wyoming Horse Slaughter Politician (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- EWA Prez Wins One for the Horses in Slaughter Debate (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Cruel Queen of Horse Slaughter Suffers Bout of Paranoia (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Radical Horse Slaughter Group Pushes for Horse Cruelty in Nevada (rtfitch.wordpress.com)