“”I will vigorously pursue all legal remedies available to me if we discover any violations…”
(SANTA FE)—Attorney General Gary King today expressed grave concerns over the potential health risks associated with consumption of horse meat processed at the proposed horse slaughtering plant in Roswell.
“As Attorney General, I have specific authority to enforce New Mexico food safety laws that are applicable to such a facility in our state,” said Attorney General King.
New Mexico has had laws on its books for more than seven decades protecting our citizens from Adulterated Food. Scientific studies show that horse meat fits the legal definition of an adulterated food product due to the presence of many chemical substances routinely used on horses that are deemed unfit for human consumption.
“Recent occurrences of food mislabeling and horse meat contamination have been widely reported in Europe,” adds AG King. “The European Union will ban the import of horse meat from North America effective July 1, 2013.”
The AG says experience in Europe shows that there is no foolproof way to be certain that horse meat will not enter the human food chain here in New Mexico.
Should the horse slaughtering plant be given the green light to open by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the AG’s office will closely monitor health and safety practices at the facility.
“I will vigorously pursue all legal remedies available to me if we discover any violations of New Mexico food safety laws,” AG King promised.
Last month the Attorney General was outspoken in his dislike and displeasure over the Valley Meat employee who recorded himself murderering a defensless young horse:
“The needless killing of a horse is abhorrent behavior and the AG is saddened that such a repulsive depiction would be used to make a personal statement. AG King comes from a ranching family and is unaware of anyone he grew up with that would think this was appropriate behavior.”
The office of the AG also offered assistance to the DA in persecuting the hardened animal abuser.
- Snuff Video of Horse Slaughter Inflames Debate Over Tainted Horse Meat (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse Meat Found in Six Scottish Schools (rtfitchauthor.com)
- US steps up testing following horse-meat scandal (horsetalk.co.nz)
- Phenylbutazone found in horse meat in Czech store (horsetalk.co.nz)
- 4 Ways Horse Meat Proves a Zombie Apocalypse Can Happen (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Amid Sequester Scare and Global Horse Meat Scandal USDA May Approve Horse Slaughter Plant (rtfitchauthor.com)
- British Govt announces probe into horse-meat scandal (horsetalk.co.nz)