Release Date: April 16, 2013
Report Date(s): 2012 – 2013
Objective | Content: NM Permit Processing with FSIS
This FOIA contains information relating to the request for communications on the permit requested by de los Santos for a horse slaughter permit. Included in the FOIA are email exchanges, photos of the property condition and documentation of violations. The emails are quite detailed and provide some very interesting exchanges. In particular, the pile of carcasses was of concern to FSIS throughout the exchanges. The photos of the piles speak for themselves.
- Throughout the email exchanges you’ll note the numerous corrections that were required such as issues with the refrigeration and the hooks to hang the horses being too low. de los Santos would say he’d correct them and then on the next visit to the plant, they were not corrected.
- On Page 215 there is a jab at R.T. Fitch regarding hunting someone down. We do not know what this is referencing or who because the name was removed. We suspect it is Sue Wallis since the link provided is referencing a blog of R.T.’s.
- There is a communication from attorney Bruce Wagman, on behalf of Front Range Equine starting on page 926 that details the environmental issues.
We have additional information that was recently received pertaining to this FOIA that will be issued under separate cover tomorrow.
Click (HERE) for full Summary and links to files
- EWA/WHFF Houston Horse Meat Connection Gains Major Media Attention (rtfitchauthor.com)
- TCF R4H & WHFF Spearhead Massive Wild Horse/Slaughter Media Attention in OK (rtfitchauthor.com)
- TS Radio: Equine Welfare Press Conference and Rally live coverage (ppjg.me)
- Equine Advocacy Groups Expose Gross Gap in U.S. Border Horse Slaughter Inspections (rtfitchauthor.com)
- EWA/WHFF Expose Possible llegal Horse Meat Shipments through Port of Houston TX (lilvampgurl.wordpress.com)
- HfH/WHFF Launch Horsemeat DNA Monitoring Program in Light of UK/EU Ground Beef Contamination Scandal (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Market for Slaughter Horses Plunging in Wake of “Burger-gate” (rtfitchauthor.com)