A consortium of Wild Horse advocacy groups conducted a poll that found a majority of Americans want wild horses and burros protected and that support cuts across party and gender lines. The poll also documented public support for repeal of a law that allows the government to sell wild horses for slaughter and public dissatisfaction with current management practices. These practices include rounding up thousands of wild horses annually from the range and warehousing them in government holding facilities at taxpayer expense. Presently the BLM warehouses 50,000 wild horses and burros in holding facilities while fewer than 38,000 remain on the range.
Specifically the poll found:
- 72 percent of Americans favor protecting wild horses as “living symbols of the history and pioneer spirit of the West.”
- 66 percent think the BLM’s approach to wild horse management is an inefficient use of tax dollars. (Only 8% thought it was an efficient use of tax dollars.)
- 62 percent believe the program is not being managed effectively. (Only 7% thought the program was managed effectively.)
- 62 percent support the repeal of the law that allows the BLM to sell wild horses for slaughter. (Only 13% supported slaughtering wild horses.)
The poll, conducted by Public Policy Polling, surveyed 1,247 registered voters nationwide from March 27-30, 2013.
- Wild Horse and Burro Advocates Say Enough is Enough to the BLM’s Continued Stampede Tactics (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Bureau of Land Management Ignores the Laws of United States AND Nature (ppjg.me)
- Citizen Report: Wild Horses Notably Absent from California Herd Area After BLM Roundup and Fire (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Colorado Sheriff Opens Wild Horse Slaughter Investigation (rtfitchauthor.com)
- New Interior Secretary Sally Jewell Waiting for Study on Wild Horses? (rtfitchauthor.com)