Equine Rescue

An Equine Odyssey: How a Girl Lost — and Found — the Horse She Loved

Article by: HELEN O’NEILL, Award Winning Writer

The ‘Force of the Horse’ in Action

A dark bay, nearly black, with a dramatic white blaze on her forehead, everyone thought Burma — the diva of the barn — was a beauty.

But, though friendly and affectionate, the 6-year-old thoroughbred was practically impossible to handle. High-strung and feisty, she swayed impatiently in her stall, chewed the wooden doors, got tangled in her harness, stuck her nose into any box or bucket she could find. She had proved hopeless on the track, despite having a distant blood connection to the great racehorse Man o’ War. She had ugly feet that required special shoes, and an alarming tendency to colic.

To 16-year-old Megan Chance, she was perfect.

“This is the horse I want,” she announced jubilantly in 1998, after riding Burma for the first time at a New Jersey stable.

Her parents were uneasy, urging her to consider a quieter, more manageable mount. But Megan was sure. A tall girl who spent every free minute at the stables — grooming, riding, mucking out stalls, giving lessons — she wanted a big horse with a big personality, one that demanded attention and care, one that would truly test her ability as a horsewoman and trainer.

Her parents relented. And Burma was hers.

For six years, they were inseparable. Megan worked on pacing her new horse, calming her, grooming her, earning her trust. From the start it was clear that Burma would never be a good hunter or jumper: She didn’t have the calm, steady temperament to win in the show ring. And she was sickly — Megan endured whole nights in the barn, nursing her horse through bouts of colic, an intestinal disease that’s sometimes fatal. But Megan loved Burma’s adventurous streak, the fact that she was willing to try anything, loved their deepening bond.

When Megan enrolled at Meredith Manor Equestrian College in West Virginia in 2001, Burma went too. And when Megan graduated in 2003 and went to work at the New Jersey stables of famed Olympian equestrian Frank Chapot, Burma accompanied her.

“She was more than my horse or my pet,” Megan said. “She was my best buddy.”

But, as many horse lovers will attest — and as Megan would discover — a horse who is your best buddy can break your heart.


In 2004, when Megan decided to take a couple of months to travel across the country with her friend Katie Gaylor, her biggest dilemma was who could take care of Burma.

Megan remembered a conversation several years earlier with the horse trainer who had shipped Burma to West Virginia. She is so lovely, Megan recalled the woman saying. If you ever want to breed her, please call me.

Megan contacted the woman, who ran a stable in New York’s Orange County. They made a deal, Megan says. The woman would pay all Burma’s costs — food, shelter, veterinary care — and in return she would breed the mare and keep the foal.

In the fall of 2004, Megan dropped Burma off at well-appointed stables in the New York countryside. They signed a handwritten contract, Megan says, and then she and her friend took off on a six-week cross-country tour. Along the way, she kept in regular phone contact with Burma’s barn; returning for Thanksgiving, she visited her horse at the stables, and found her happy and well cared for — and pregnant.

Confident that Burma was in good hands, Megan moved to North Carolina to take over a stable with Katie. She kept a picture of Burma on the dash of the car and had photos of her all over the house. She would call every few weeks to ask how her horse was doing — and that was how she learned that Burma had miscarried.

She agreed to leave her at the stable for up to a year longer so the breeder could try for another foal.

Months passed. In the spring of 2005 the breeder told Megan that Burma was pregnant again.

That is the last conversation Megan recalls.

At first Megan paid little attention to the fact that her phone calls were not being returned. But when she called one day and the phone was disconnected, she panicked.

She tried to find the woman on the Internet, but she’d left no trace. She tried email, but her messages bounced back.

What had happened to the breeder? What had happened to her horse?

Katie wondered about taking legal action, or hiring an investigator. But Megan didn’t have any money. They could barely afford to run the barn. Besides, as her mother kept reminding her daughter in long, tearful phone conversations, the reality was that something bad must have happened to Burma.

In all likelihood, she had died giving birth. Burma was gone.


Six years passed. On July 6, 2011, two strikingly beautiful thoroughbred mares stood in pen No. 10 at the weekly horse auction in Cranbury, N.J, calling frantically to each other, eyes wild with fear. Number 912 was a tall dark bay, nearly black, with a stunning white blaze on her forehead. Her companion, number 911, was a skinny bay. Both had unusual white branding on their necks — t-47 and t-38.

No. 10 is the saddest stall, the feedlot pen also known as the “kill pen.” Horses here are destined to be shipped to a slaughterhouse and butchered for horse meat abroad. They can only be saved if they are bought, or “bailed,” for a couple of hundred dollars — the equivalent of what they would get per pound at the slaughterhouse.

At her pretty horse farm in Newtown, Conn., more than 100 miles away, Annette Sullivan monitored the auction on her computer. The 43-year-old horsewoman had her hands full with summer camp, and the last thing on her mind was rescuing a horse. But something about the dark mare made her pause.

How in the world could this gorgeous creature — which, according to one Internet posting, had some connection to Frank Chapot’s Olympic stable — wind up in the kill pen?

This horse has a history, Sullivan thought.

A friend connected to a rescue group offered to pay boarding costs if Sullivan would give the mares a home. Sullivan called the auction house. “I’ll bail 911 and 912,” she said, and paid $325 for both.

Papers identified the dark horse as Burma’s Lady, the 15-year-old granddaughter of Triple Crown winner Seattle Slew. Her companion was 18-year-old Ready to Cry, who had been on the track a few years but had no such famous lineage.

Lady was the beauty, but also more shy. Ready to Cry was her protector and muse, nuzzling Lady, stepping in front of her when anyone approached. Touched by the bond, convinced that the dark horse had a story as compelling as the fictional Black Beauty, Sullivan renamed Ready to Cry “Anna” — after Anna Sewell, author of the classic novel.

The horses seemed healthy and in good shape, but with one puzzling trait: Though they were broodmares, their teats were maiden. They had never given birth.

Curious, Sullivan emailed the stables listed as their last owner — All-D-Reiterhof Farm in Long Valley, N.J.

What she learned disturbed her deeply.

The farm operates a federally approved quarantine station where imported stallions are tested for contagious equine metritis, or CEM, a venereal disease that is treatable but can be devastating if it spreads through a barn. Because stallions show no symptoms, they are bred to two mares. If the mares are not infected, the stallion is released from quarantine.

For at least five years, Lady and Anna (known only as t-47 and t-38) had been used as test mares, bred over and over by foreign-born stallions entering the country. Each time, they were injected with hormone drugs and their reproductive organs were swabbed and flushed to ensure that they didn’t get pregnant.

Sullivan had never heard of CEM — and was horrified by what her mares had endured.

Armin Wagner, who owns the farm, was equally horrified to learn that the horses were alive.

Why do you have my horses? I sent them to slaughter, Sullivan recalls him saying over the phone. He also stressed, in emails to Sullivan, that it was crucial not to breed the mares. Their organs had been compromised by all the testing, he wrote. And Anna had a serious uterine infection.

Wagner refused to discuss the test program on the record. But equine experts and veterinarians associated with the U.S. Department of Agriculture, which mandates and oversees the little-known program, said the mares are well cared for. It is the only way, they said, to ensure the disease is kept out of the country.

“The mares are well treated and pampered,” said New Jersey State Veterinarian Dr. Manoel Tamassia, whose office was familiar with Burma and Anna. They spent most of the time, Tamassia said, eating hay or out in the pasture. When they are bred to the stallions a few times a year, he added, they are doing what is natural.

“It is a good life for a horse,” he said, “better than being stuck in a stall.”


The vet said Anna’s infection was not a danger as long as she was not bred, and both horses began quickly adjusting to the daily rhythms of their Connecticut home. But the mystery of Lady’s past haunted Sullivan.

The horse rode beautifully. “She has carriage and floats with you and engages,” Sullivan said. “You could feel the energy. There was something so special about this horse.”

Twelve-year-old Haley McNulty, who had been riding at the stable for years, fell in love with Lady, too. Her parents had promised her a horse for her 13th birthday in October, and there was no doubt which horse she wanted. Haley loved Lady’s sweet-natured personality, the way she stuck her tongue out as though she was laughing. And though she had “vices” — chomping on the stall door (“cribbing”) and weaving in the stall — Haley was moved by the mare’s story and all she had been through.

And so Haley started riding Lady several times a week, baking her oatmeal cookies and visiting almost every day. At Halloween, Haley dressed as a witch and stuck whiskers on Lady as her cat.

Sullivan was thrilled at what seemed like a perfect match, but she had nagging doubts about Lady’s health. The mare’s girth was expanding daily: She looked pregnant. But how could that be? Wagner had assured her it was impossible for a test mare to get pregnant.

Somehow, it had happened. A vet confirmed the pregnancy in late September: Lady would likely give birth within a month.

Sullivan’s heart sank. Lady’s uterus was too compromised to carry a foal to term. Even had she been in full health, she was old to be giving birth for the first time.

Sullivan braced herself to break the news to Haley: There was a good chance Lady would not make it. She might die giving birth, or her placenta could be so toxic she might have to be put down.


On a sunny morning in October, Megan Chance Adams dropped her son at kindergarten and checked her computer in Washington, N.C. She clicked on a Facebook link forwarded by a friend and saw a picture of a horse, a beautiful tall dark bay with a familiar white blaze.

Megan gasped.

“I found Burma,” she screamed on the phone to her mother. “Oh my God, she’s alive.”

“Are you sure?” her mother asked.

“Of course I’m sure,” Megan said, sobbing hysterically. “I know my horse.”

She called Sullivan, who listened patiently as the weeping young woman described everything about Lady — from her messy stall to her bad feet to the quirky way she stuck out her tongue. There was no doubt: Lady was Megan’s Burma.

Sullivan assured Megan that the horse was safe and well, but added that she had been through a lot. Gently, but without sparing any details, she described the test facility where Lady had spent five years, her rescue, her dangerous pregnancy.

Next Sullivan called Haley’s mother and left a message saying Lady was no longer available for adoption. Then she went to the barn. Stroking Lady’s forehead, she offered a silent prayer that the mare would survive.

Over the next week, Megan and Sullivan talked nearly every day. Megan told her about the contract with the farm in New York state, about how the woman and Burma had vanished. She told her how heartbroken she had felt, how guilty for letting her horse down. Now 29, Megan was married with a 4-year-old son and working in a pharmacy. She had taken some time off working with horses to focus on being a mom. But she had never stopped thinking of Burma.

On Oct. 26, a cold and rainy night, Burma went into labor.

For hours she heaved and sweated and moaned. Several times, Sullivan and the vet wondered if they would have to euthanize her. The foal was stillborn and twisted, its legs backwards. Even after sedating Burma, it took the vet, her assistant and Sullivan all their strength to wrap chains around the stunted fetus and pull it out.

They tried to present it to Burma, so that she would understand her baby was dead. But she didn’t want to know. She screamed and reared and banged at the stall, yanking out her IV.

In desperation, Sullivan went to Anna’s stall. She walked the mare over to Burma. Anna nuzzled her friend. She sniffed her. She whinnied softly. Burma grew quiet, and stopped banging at the sides of the stall. She looked at her companion with such sadness that Sullivan wept.

“I was mush,” Sullivan said.

Megan was a wreck, too, anxiously waiting by the phone in North Carolina, fearing the worst, willing her horse to survive.

Sullivan kept her updated with text messages. Both knew that the next few hours were critical. The placenta was toxic. If it didn’t expel soon, Burma could go into shock and would have to be put down.

About 24 hours after the birth, Sullivan messaged Megan.

We have placenta!

Megan collapsed in sobs. Burma had pulled through once again.


On the day after Thanksgiving, Megan drove from her mother’s house in New Jersey to Zoar Ridge stables in Connecticut.

She was about to see Burma for the first time in six years. And she was terrified.

Would Burma recognize her? Would she forgive her?

Heart pounding, she walked towards the pasture where Burma was grazing.

“Burma,” she called softly, “Burma.”

The mare flicked her head and looked up, ears pointed, curious. Slowly she ambled over. Trembling, Megan reached out and stroked her. It was hard to believe, after all this time, that she could touch the horse she had never stopped grieving.

In the barn, Burma didn’t take her eyes off Megan. It was as if she was trying to remember, to piece together all that had happened.

Megan and Sullivan agreed that Burma would stay through the holidays to continue her recovery, and move to North Carolina in the New Year. There, a beautiful new barn awaited her. After retiring, Megan’s father-in-law had built a small pleasure horse farm on a 70-acre tract in Washington. At the Lazy A, Burma would have a warm stall, plenty of companions and lots of hay. And Megan would visit every day.

For Megan, the reunion brought back a flood of memories — and questions.

Though she had long forgotten the name of the woman she had entrusted with Burma, she did remember the name of her shipping company: Horsefeathers. It turned out the business had once belonged to Kim Martin, a horse trainer in Warwick, N.Y. Martin, who goes by several other names, remembered Burma well, but she has a very different recollection of her deal with Megan.

There was no contract for a foal, Martin said. “She gave me the horse because she didn’t have the money to keep it.”

After running into legal and financial difficulties in 2005, Martin said she gave the horse to her friend, Wagner, who runs the test facility.

“I’m glad she got her horse back,” Martin said. But she insisted: “It was mine to give away. It was never lost or stolen.”

Martin’s account infuriates Megan’s husband and other family members who had watched her suffer over the loss of her horse. But it matters little to Megan.

At midnight on Jan. 11, a throng of friends and family gathered at the Lazy A, cheering as a horse trailer pulled into the stables.

Burma was home.

Sullivan watched the homecoming on her computer in Connecticut. It had been bittersweet to say goodbye to her rescued Black Beauty. But happily, the mare’s saga was over.


Except it wasn’t quite the ending.

After Sullivan posted Megan and Burma’s story on Facebook, and local media in Connecticut and North Carolina picked it up, a Kentucky horsewoman came forward to say the real Burma’s Lady was happily grazing in a field on her farm.

“I don’t know what Burma she has,” said Cheryll Frank of Georgetown, Ky., a few days after Burma’s arrival in North Carolina. “But Burma’s Lady by Tsunami Slew is sitting outside my window, and I have all the papers to prove it.”

Frank’s announcement launched a frenetic series of email and phone call exchanges between Frank, Megan, her mother, Sullivan and others. They checked the lip tattoo numbers of both horses against data with The Jockey Club, where thoroughbreds are registered. They checked with the American Equestrian Association and the Thoroughbred Racing Protective Bureau.

Together they solved the mystery.

Megan’s Burma is actually Burma’s True Love, four years older than her half-sister, Burma’s Lady. They were born to the same dam, or mother, but have different fathers. (Burma’s True Love is not descended from the great Seattle Slew.)

Megan had only ever called her horse Burma. The name Lady appears to have been added when the horse was stabled with Martin.

For her part, Megan couldn’t care less about her horse’s name or lineage. All that matters is Burma is back where she belongs.

At the Lazy A, Burma has settled in happily with Lacey, a pony, and Dano, a gelding. Lulu, the 13-year-old chestnut mare, has become her new friend.

“I intend to spoil her and love her and pamper her and watch her grow old,” Megan said one recent sunny afternoon as she cleaned the stalls. “She’s going to be my princess, aren’t you, Burma?”

Hearing her name, Burma trotted over. Pushing her nose against Megan, the princess mare — Burma’s True Love — cheekily demanded another carrot.




Helen O’Neill is a national New York based writer noted for writing feature articles for major national newspapers and publications.

33 replies »

  1. The best Sunday story on this blog EVER.

    Burma’s True Love is the right name for this mare; after all, she is Megan’s “true love.”


  2. This story is too close to home. That’s very close to the story of my beautiful Arabian mare, Misty. She came from Wayne Newton’s ranch, and her grandsire was the World Champion Wayne leased from Russia.
    I left her on a lease, while I went to take care of my mother. She was sold without her papers shortly after. I finally found her in deplorable/bony condition, and arranged to have her picked up. When the trailer arrived, my mare had been hidden.
    I’ve been looking for her since 2007.


  3. Being from Connecticut, I knew of this wonderful story. But what sickens me is that our government purposely sent these mares to slaughter, knowing one had a serious infection. Yet people would eat this poor horse’s meat? One can only imagine the drugs remaining in her system.
    While I understand a lot of the slaughtered horse meat is sent to zoos, Europeans consume it. Why on earth would they take this change?


  4. Absolutely stunning story, i could barely read it through my tears, how many more like this and similar ones are out there Right here we have Laurels mare to be found, it brings to mind how much it would make all this suffering of owners and caretakers from having to suffer to find their beloved horses now if all foals were to have a chip connected to a data base it would end all this suffering by horse and caretaker,a loving bond that is created by horse and caretaker is strong and should not be broken and lost……chipping and data basing horses is not only needed but is a must, lets make this happen……. Dear Laurel I am so praying that you find your mare Misty, Gods Speed to you Laurel…………


  5. This is a very moving story but it is not at all satisfying to me because it does not mention what happened to Anna, the horse with whom Burma bonded so closely? Certainly, Anna also deserved a loving home and preferably an ongoing relationship with Burma. Because she stresses how important Anna was to Burma and then entirely fails to say what happens to Anna, Helen O’Neil has not written a satisfying account. She does not demonstrate a true sensitivity to the feelings or horses because she seems not to care whether these two friends get to remain together or not. So for me, this story shows, without meaning to, that Helen O’Neil is not a true horse lover or supporter.

    Also, Laurel, I am so sorry for your predicament. I certainly hope that you too manage to find Misty alive and in good shape. Your story is also very sad and moving.


    • I totally agree. My heart sank when no mention was made of Annie after Burma was moved. I think I remember these two horses when they were posted at the auction. Even casual obsevers noticed the bond the two had and the importance Annie had for the dark mare. I want to know that Burma and Annie are reunited. Horses must have our respect!


    • Exactly my thought! It was clear the barn owner (Sullivan) didnt hesitate to bring both mares home. I’d be surprised if she didnt suggest sending Anna to Megan, also.


  6. Every problem the Horse and loving owners and caretakers face, can and will be solved by taking away one of the equations for which it is based which is greed and only greed and profit, and can be addressed at the Root going back to the root of one of the problems, which is the disappearance and taking of horses by greedy undertones , the thought of easy prey, with this in mind our horses immediately become prey for humans with greed as their base if we find the way to chip implant in our horses at birth and data base them on a computer designed for just this purpose we make it against the Law for removal in any way , and by any means we have an answer , if every slaughter house had to scan every horse brought there under strict penalty of the law , whether they find a chip or not find a chip each horse must be identified or must be released from the Slaughter house, to previous owner then we also create a big problem for the Kill buyer unable to sell them horses without proper identification, no profit no kill ………………. Therefore no Slaughter houses , no kill buyer…………………..Sorry AQHA you are not excluded……………………. In Loving Memory of Ferdinand and Excelsior, and every horse needlessly Slaughtered at the hands of the scum of the earth………………. WE MAKE THIS LAW , WE HELP THOUSANDS OF OUR HORSES ………………………………….. and we help the people who love them ………………….


    • Right now if your horse is stolen and ends up at the slaughter plant, you can get them back, you have 72 hours to pick them up and you must pay them what they paid for the horse. They are in posession of stolen property and you must pay to get your horse back. What a crock. Sue Wallis has proposed the same thing, of course she will notify you of your horse as long as you pay her.


      • I do not want to be associated in anyway to this woman, (sue wallrus whoops type o) My plan is out of Love and Concern only……………………………… I want every horse to be identified …..with every means possible for its protection from Slaughter and the likes of sue wallrus whoops again……


      • This is why we need to get a federal ban on the slaughter of our U. S. horses—anywhere. Call, write, email, fax your senators ad ask them to support S. 1176, The Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2011. The House version of the bill is H. R. 2996. Be sure to call your representative and ask him to support this bill. In fact, you can ask your Senators and Representatives to co-sponsor this legislation.

        We need a federal ban on horse slaughter. There should be a mandatory prison sentence in a federal prison for anyone involved with this cruel, predatory business. These people are not business people; they are predators.


  7. Absolutly amazing. I began to cry from the moment Burma was lost unti I cried tears of joy at her return home. I have a palomino stallion I have loved for 24 yrs now. If I ever moved he went with me or I didnt go for this very reason. My father sold him once when we had a spat and I used my college tuition money to buy him back. I sat out a semester but my life was richer for it. If I had lost him I dont know what I would have done. Hes old and sickly now. Barely makes it through the southern summers but His heart is still as strong and determined as ever. Love my Warrior!!!


  8. A beautiful story but a tear jerker for sure. I am wondering about Anna too. I know she is loved and getting good care but I think she belongs with Burma. Horses gtief just like we do.


  9. I too had a pony “disappear” when sent to New York for a potential buyer. When my trainer and I called and called to find out about her, we were told the “buyer” was not sure, give them another week they said. We called after a week to be told the pony had been sent to someone in Maryland for a potential buyer (which they did not have permission to do), of course they had no information for us to contact the buyer. One year later my trainer was able to track her down and inform the people that she had been stolen. When we finally got her back, the once quite, gentle pony that everyone loved had become uncontrollable and unpredictable. Although both barns were questioned at length no one would admit to where she had been for a year or who the “buyers” were. How did we find out where she was ? As everyone knows news travels in the horse/pony world. She had been shown, jumped and ribbon-ed extensively in New York and the bought by the barn in Maryland and used til she was used up. Unfortunately the last “buyer” was cruel and her spirit along with her heart were broken. She was sent to a local farm to live out her life, somewhere close by so I could watch and see her daily. Many, many horses/ponies “disappear” in Maryland and New York. This is something that should be investigated but explanations are never there. In 1995 I moved to Tn. and had to have my child’s pony shipped, and let me tell you how the shipper was investigated first. Bless his heart this man called me every 2 hrs. en route, called when they had a lay-over, and kept my informed all the way. He arrived with the pony safe and sound and said he understood why I was so nervous about the move. One year later, he was in the area and came to visit her. Now that is a good shipper and a wonderful person.

    When it came time to sell her she went to New York and again was shown(found out in the newspaper). When I called they finally agreed that they would meet me in N. Carolina, and that she would be in a barn there, funny the barn was there, but the people that had taken her were nowhere to be found. Was able to find owner of the New York barn and press charges for thief

    Moral of this story is to investigate, investigate and investigate some more. This happened 17 years ago and is still happening..


    • Dear Victoria, all your pain and sorrow and the cruelty to the pony could have been averted with a chip and a data base………………………….


  10. This story brought tears to my eyes and now I’m heading out back to give my 23 year old gelding, Cody, a couple of molasses biscuits and a big old hug.


  11. Beautiful, though heart-wrenching story, deserving to be heard by so many. I wish they would pick this up and make a movie out of it. I am so happy that Burma found her way home. I know that those along the way that helped her and loved her will be blessed for this. One thing that keeps haunting me though is, what happened to Anna? She was Burma’s comfort through the testing, the auction, the rescue… where is Anna now?


  12. It sad to say these stories are in the majority. Never, Never, leave your animals with anyone,,,not even your good friends. I too had a wonderful Dartmoor pony that I saved from the Killers and he lived in several homes caring and teaching children to ride. I finally decided it was time to find him a “forever” home. A place where he could live out his life…The person I selected was a lier, a cheat and was not at all what she professed to be. I too had her sign a document stating if it did not work out with her children’s riding program, I would take him back in a jack second. I also included a stipulation that if my name and number were ever lost and he didn’t work out, he was to be donated to the Illinois Hooved Humane Society. She was a cutesy cow girl that looked like she stepped out of a magazine. I had two choices – he could stay local and be a companion to a gal’s Arabian gelding or be taken to this farm where he would be part of a program for children. This pony was bomb proof, solid and wonderful with kids. She told me she was having a show for her
    children’s classes in June or July of that year and to give her a call. She picked my pony up in March of that year. I called back in June and this gal had no idea who I was. She owned Crystal Manor Farms in Crystal Lake, Illinois. When I confronted her on the phone, she insisted he went to a good home and continued to be lost for words. My heart sank and I cried for days because she would not tell me where he went. I made the biggest mistake of his life. I trusted an insensitive and uncarrying person, not to mention a lier. If you must place your horse somewhere, please please make sure it is local and that your friends or family can keep tabs on him or her. So many horses end up at auctions and slaughterhouses that should not be there. I do not believe in the Unwanted Horse deal..Instead of wasting countless dollars trying to open slaughterhouses which NO ONE wants put the money in to viable programs for rescue and rehoming. Just a note on the chipping..I always thought it was a good idea too…However, slaughterhouses pay no attention to chips or identification, if one is found in the meat, it is cut out and discarded. God help us all if they should ever open in this country again because the cruelty and lack of inspection will continue..It will be business as usual..We must push to have legislation passed once and for all that would stop the slaughter and the transportation of American horses out of the United States.

    Thanks for the information on this stallion deal. How dare these people experiment on our horses.
    Let them stay in their own countries!


  13. Wow! What a story! What became of Burma’s horse friend, Anna?? Too bad they couldn’t have both been kept together.


  14. As i said originally, I found this article upsetting and unsatisfactory because no further mention was made of Anna. I don’t know of anyone except the writer of the article who might know what happened to Anna. I think that by not mentioning Anna, the writer showed that she just wanted to write a moving story and does not really have any special feelings for horses. So mainly, this article made me unhappy and somewhat angry.


  15. Don’t you just love it that a government approved facility sends a horse with a “serious infection” to be slaughtered for human consumption!


Care to make a comment?

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.