Wild Horse Freedom Federation issues THE TRUTH to share Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) documents and information with the public. Be sure to subscribe HERE to Wild Horse Freedom Federation, so that you can receive email alerts.
THE TRUTH #29 – BLM’s big gift to livestock grazing on public lands: Outcome Based Grazing Authorizations (OBGA) allows grazing permittees to increase the numbers of their privately owned livestock and to use more forage for longer periods of time on public lands.
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) has “demonstration” projects now, but intends to make widespread use of Outcome Based Grazing Authorizations (OBGA).
Outcome Based Grazing Authorizations:
1) Seem to bypass the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), (possibly with excessive use of Categorical Exclusions – CXs).
2) The “flexibility” described actually means that the permittee (with a compliant BLM) can use more forage, have more animals, and more time on the range, than their grazing permit allocates.
3) Will be used to activate suspended use on allotments.
4) Per the FOIA records, it sounds like this plan was cooked up to cater to the National Cattlemen’s Beef Association and the Public Lands Council (PLC). Per PLC, “Since 1968, the Public Lands Council (PLC) has actively represented the cattle and sheep producers who hold public lands grazing permits.”
5) The BLM is basically privatizing the management of public lands.
6) It looks like there is “additional funding” being discussed with OBGA
7) All this, while there is a drought in the West and the BLM is removing wild horses & burros to extinction.
In an Aug. 1, 2017 email (in FOIA documents below), Kristin Bail (BLM Asst. Dir. of Resources & Planning), wrote “…I would like a briefing paper that outlines what flexibility currently exists under our existing regs and permit processes and how offices may employ these flexibilities. I know that Idaho is doing certain things now, it would be helpful to understand the full suite of what is possible. I’d also like a better understanding of the litigation that was referred to in our meeting that appears to (?) limit our flexibility…”
Who are the first livestock grazing permittees to line up at this trough?
Read the rest of this article and see FOIA documents HERE.
Be sure to subscribe HERE to Wild Horse Freedom Federation, so that you can receive email alerts.
Read all of THE TRUTH and see other FOIA documentation HERE.
Donate here: http://wildhorsefreedomfederation.org/donate/