BLM Puts a Spin on Everything
Today, 24/02/2011, myself, my wife Terry, Laura Leigh and her son climbed down out of our observation point overlooking a wild horse trap at the Antelope Stampede in Northern Nevada to drive for almost an hour in an effort to pick up a cell signal to tune into Bureau of Land Management Director (BLM) Bob Abbey give a news breaking press conference. We should have stayed at the trap for the sake of the horses.
What we heard, with the exception of taking Salazoos off from the table, was the exact same BLM double talk that we have heard over the past several years. In our heart of hearts we were hoping for a moratorium on these cruel, deadly and unnecessary wild horse stampedes, but instead, Abbey defended the very act that is ensuring our wild horses will be extinct sooner rather than later. His words fall upon deaf ears as it is time for action, not rhetoric and the BLM is full of it.
Case in point, Wednesday we reported on a horse that was hung UPSIDE DOWN after lunging up and over the cramped contractor’s holding pen. We reported, in detail, on what happened (HERE) and supplied raw video and photos to document the dangerous and potentially deadly event but the following day the BLM published the following update on their website:
“An incident with a stud horse happened in the gather corrals today. The stud stuck his hind leg through a panel. The crew got a rope on him and worked his leg loose. The leg appeared to be OK, so he was loaded and transported to the holding corral where he is moving about freely and eating hay. The vet examined the horse and didn’t find an injury. The crew’s expertise in handling wild horse was apparent in their professional response to this incident. This is one of the kinds of incidents that can occur when working with horses.”
Hung upside down, roped and dragged, rope left on during stallion fight, hidden in trailer for hours…yup, that’s normal stuff when working with horses.
Cameras, eye witness reports and the BLM will still try to spin a horrendous equine event into something as benign and simple as their statement above…do you really expect us to believe anything that Abbey has to say? I think not.
Clog their faxes, turn up the volume and onward to Phoenix!
- Proper Access to Obama’s BLM Wild Horse Traps Continued to be Denied (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Action Alert: Wild Horse Advocates to Rally at BLM Meeting (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- The BLM’s Internal “Investigation”: The Fox Guarding the Henhouse (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- BLM Called Upon To Halt Wild Horse Roundups Until “New Normal ” Policies Enacted To Ensure Humane Treatment of Mustangs (yubanet.com)
- Wild horses: BLM Backs Off Plan to Zero Out West Douglas Herd (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Wild Horse Groups Win Another Round and Vow to Preserve Targeted West Douglas Herd (rtfitch.wordpress.com)