Equine Welfare Alliance Letter to the Appropriations Reconciliation Committee
Rational Facts Counter Pro-Slaughter Hysterical Propaganda
November 7, 2011
To: Honorable Committee Members
Re: Appropriations Reconciliation
We are contacting you today on behalf of our 206 member organizations and hundreds of individual members worldwide to urge the committee to retain the defunding of horse inspections.
Our position is rational, factual and one that cannot be disputed.
1) In this disastrous economy, it is indefensible to be wasting tax dollars to subsidize foreign companies by inspecting animals that are not consumed or considered food animals in our country.
2) Slaughter is for food production and not the place to send excess, unusable or “unwanted” horses. It is the place to send animals that have been strictly raised as food animals. To do otherwise, is a violation of the FDA and European Union (EU) food safety regulations and comprises consumer food safety.
3) U.S. horses are not raised or regulated as food animals. As such, they receive numerous medications for routine maintenance, injuries and illnesses that are prohibited in food animals. If you have any doubts as to the validity of this statement, please read the recent EU FVO reports on U.S. horses sent to Canada and Mexico for slaughter. Both reports reveal drug residues and falsified drug affidavits and are posted on this page on our website: http://www.equinewelfarealliance.org/Horse_Slaughter.html
Thank you for your valuable time.
John Holland, President
- Truth Sends Horse Eating Fanatics Scurrying (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Slaughtered U.S. Horses NOT OK Says EU (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Obama Urged to Keep ” No Horse Slaughter” Campaign Promise (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- EWA VP Sinks Wyoming Horse Eater’s Rant (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Equine Terrorists Fabricate Untruths to Promote Eating Horses (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- For Horse Lovers Everywhere: The Truth About Horse Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- GAO Follows Horse Slaughter Lobby Down the Rabbit Hole (rtfitch.wordpress.com)