Information supplied by the Cloud Foundation
Update: Click (HERE) to Download Copy of Letter
Rep. Raúl M. Grijalva spearheads letter to Dept. of Interior
“We are so appreciative of Representative Grijalva’s efforts to protect our nation’s wild horses from the cruel and invasive procedures BLM is planning,” states Ginger Kathrens, Executive Director of The Cloud Foundation. “Wild horses and burros need congressional intervention fast—otherwise BLM will manage these iconic symbols of freedom to extinction.”
Grijalva’s letter also expresses concerns about BLM’s supervision of America’s wild horses and burros–namely the agency’s failure to conduct accurate censuses on wild horse and burro herds. BLM often over inflates the numbers of wild horses and burros on the range and comes up short during roundups. As a result, nearly all animals in a herd are eliminated from their legally designated ranges. This has led advocacy organizations, such as The Cloud Foundation, to conclude that wild horse populations are far lower than BLM estimates. Also the letter underscores the financial costs—citing the burden placed on American taxpayers due to the agency’s massive and unnecessary roundup and removal practices.
The Cloud Foundation, Equine Welfare Alliance, Wild Horse Freedom Federation and many additional organizations urge the public to contact their U.S. Congressional representative and request they sign onto Grijalva’s letter before it is delivered to Secretary Salazar and Director Abbey.
- Sheldon Wild Horses and Burros: We Will Not Forget You, Again (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Another Win in Saving Colorado Wild Horse Herd from BLM Eradication (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Obama’s BLM Announces Wild Horse and Burro Stampede and Abuse Schedule for Summer 2011 (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- The Fight to Save Nevada’s Wild Horses (thecloudfoundation.wordpress.com)
- Wild Horses: “D” is for Destroy, Devastate and Decimate – the BLM’s plan for Wyoming’s Wild Horses (rtfitch.wordpress.com)