Information supplied by the ASPCA
You CAN Make a DifferenceIntroduced in June by Senator Mary Landrieu (D-LA), the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act (S. 1176) would prohibit the interstate/international transport and transfer of ownership of any equine intended for slaughter for human consumption. If passed, this bill will finally stop the flow of U.S. horses into Mexico and Canada, where they are processed for their meat and eaten overseas.
Our eyes and ears in Washington tell us that this is an important week for this issue in Congress, so we need your help today! We urge you to contact your U.S. senators as soon as possible to request that they sign on to cosponsor the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act.
What You Can Do
Visit the ASPCA Advocacy Center online, where you can learn more about this bill, send a quick email to your senators, and find their contact information if you’d also like to call their offices.
Thank you for taking immediate action, fellow equine advocates!
- For Horse Lovers Everywhere: The Truth About Horse Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- New USDA Transportation Regulations for Slaughter-Bound Horses Applauded (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- GAO Follows Horse Slaughter Lobby Down the Rabbit Hole (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- GAO Releases Alleged Leaked Horse Slaughter Report (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Dirty Little Secret: Canada’s Horse Slaughter Industry Under Fire (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Animal Law Coalition Responds to GAO Horse Slaughter Report (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- New Mexico Feedlot Sends Hundreds of Horses across Boarder to Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- The Way Forward on Horse Welfare (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- The True Unintended Consequences of Horse Slaughter (rtfitch.wordpress.com)