Here is your opportunity to make a difference
Because there is an application in to start horse slaughter in Sigourney, Iowa, Front Range Equine Rescue and The Humane Society of the United States submitted a rulemaking petition to the Iowa agency responsible for setting rules with respect to the safety of food, asking the agency to make new rules and regulations that would declare all horse meat adulterated, based on the large number of drugs given to virtually all American horses, which make their flesh potentially dangerous if it is turned into meat and eaten.
A very short comment period for this petition is now open, and will close on June 14. We are asking for supportive comments that address or expand on the issues identified in the petition. Most valuable would be Iowa residents, including those who live close to Sigourney, Iowa, where there is an effort to start a horse slaughter plant. Also very helpful would be people who are informed about the kind of drugs and medications that horses receive (including veterinarians and other horse professionals).
It is important that comments be polite and courteous and that they address one or more of the following topics, to the extent the commenter feels strongly about them: (1) the fear of contaminated horse meat being produced in Iowa and sent out into the world, (2) the commenters’ fear of tainted horse meat threatening the purity of American beef because of cross-contamination like we have seen in Europe, (3) the commenters’ personal knowledge that horses are administered dangerous and prohibited drugs, (4) the inherent brutality of horse slaughter, and (5) the commenters’ fear of environmental degradation.
Comments are due by June 14, 2013 and must be submitted in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or Steven Mandernach, Iowa Department of Inspections and Appeals, Lucas State Office Building, 321 East 12th Street, Des Moines, Iowa 50319-0083.
- NM Citizen Speaks Out: ‘Horse Slaughter is Slap in the Face to Human Spirituality’ (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Iowa Regulators Asked To Rule that Horse Meat is Inedible (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Robert Redford speaks out on horse slaughter (horsetalk.co.nz)
- Ban Horse Slaughter and Transport of Horses for Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Video: Understanding the Forces Behind Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horses are NOT Part of U.S. Food Chain (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Video: What Happens When Horse Slaughter Comes to Town (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Equine Advocates Meet in NY to Take Stupidity and Horse Slaughter to Task (rtfitchauthor.com)