“…the paddock areas resemble feedlots…”
Reno – Advocate Monika Courtney is tackling a Bureau of Land Management (BLM) holding facility in Reno, NV., over its lack of shelter and basic care for rounded-up wild horses. Digital Journal spoke with Courtney and BLM’s Debbie Collins on the convoluted issue.
Courtney, who has been exposing what she says is BLM cruelty for the past five years, told Digital Journal that animals at the federal government’s Palomino Valley Adoption Center (PVC) in Reno, are being exposed to triple digit temperatures on a regular basis this summer, yet have no access to shelter in which to escape the heat.
“Horses are in there for a long time, until adopted,” said Courtney, “it’s obvious they need shade.” With, “no enrichment, not even salt licks or mineral blocks, the paddock areas resemble feedlots,” she said. Debbie Collins from the Marketing and National Information Center for the BLM’s National Wild Horse & Burro Program, told Digital Journal that during were, but they were very obvious.” Increase in temps are areas of concern After speaking with several people from the Regional Western Climate Center, Courtney obtained printed charts that show increased heat patterns for region over the last two years. “This year we have already had 12 days over 100 degrees F,” she said, “with many other days in the upper nineties. It was the same last year,” the advocate explained, “eleven days at over 100 degrees F.”
Yet despite the increasing heat, Courtney said, “PVC has no shade at all.” It is an irony the advocate says she puzzles over given that stored hay is covered, and the facility only adopts out horses to people who can prove they have shelter for them. The Center is the largest BLM preparation and adoption facility in the country with a holding capacity of 1,850 animals. It serves as the primary preparation center for wild horses and burros rounded up from Nevada and other state public lands…(CONTINUED)
Click (HERE) to read the rest of the story and to COMMENT at the Digital Journal
- “Removal treadmill” condemned by HSUS boss (horsetalk.co.nz)
- BLM’s trend: manipulation of public (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Captive wild horses need relief from heat, says HSUS (horsetalk.co.nz)
- BLM Reneges on Wild Horse Roundup Promise (rtfitchauthor.com)
- BLM Holds Workshop on Wild Horse Comfort (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Action Alert: Equine Advocates Needed at Wild Horse & Burro Appeal Hearing (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Opinion: BLM Wild Horse & Burro Facility Needs Shade (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Can BLM build shade structures like this? (ppjg.me)
- BLM Decides to Destroy Wild Horse Herds (rtfitchauthor.com)