Action Alert from the Equine Welfare Alliance
It’s “Groundhog’s Day” for the Horse-Eaters
For those of you that have been with us for quite some time, y’all know what Ground Hog Day is in Illinois. For those of you new to our email group, Illinois has its very own Ground Hog Day. That’s the day that state Representative Jim Sacia introduces his annual “Let’s overturn the state law banning horse slaughter” legislation. This year there is a twist. Sacia was able to get a newbie (2011), Richard Morthland (R) to do his bidding. Yes, we have yet another bill to address, HB 5382.
We heard about this last week but it was still in the rules committee. It has now been released to the Ag committee so it’s time to start dialing, faxing and writing. Since Rep. Morthland is new, let’s show him what happens when someone introduces legislation that 80% of this country opposes. If you get the ol’ – you don’t live in Illinois speech, tell them that your horse could be stolen and sent to Illinois and that makes it your business. This legislation impacts the entire country.
Over the last few days, we have been in contact with Gail Vacca of the IL Equine Humane Center HSUS, ASPCA and AWI. AWI has already sent an alert to its members and you should expect to see something from HSUS and ASPCA soon. We’ll be working with Gail, as we do every year, to defeat this bill. She’s been involved since the original legislation to ban horse slaughter was introduced and did not pass.
208-N Stratton Office Building
Springfield, IL 62706
(217) 782-5201 FAX
4416 River Drive
Moline, IL 61265
(309) 762-3045 FAX
Rock Island County
Here are the Agriculture & Conservation committee members: (you can click the links below for the contact information): If you have any issues with the below links, you can access the below page here:http://www.ilga.gov/house/committees/members.asp?committeeID=922
Chairperson : Lisa M. Dugan D
Vice-Chairperson : Patrick J. Verschoore D
Republican Spokesperson : Jim Sacia R
Member: Jason Barickman R
Member: Kelly Burke D
Member: John D. Cavaletto R
Member: Jerry F. Costello, II D
Member: Mary E. Flowers D
Member: Norine Hammond R
Member: Chad Hays R
Member: Frank J. Mautino D
Member: Jack McGuire D
Member: Donald L. Moffitt R
Member: Brandon W. Phelps D
Member: Wayne Rosenthal R
A few suggested talking points:
- The Illinois Law was passed in 2007 by an overwhelming majority
- Every bill to overturn the state law has been defeated. Note: Governor Quinn is in support of the state law.
- The majority of IL residents and 80% of our nation do not support overturning the state law
- Slaughter is for food production, not a disposal service. US equines are not raised or regulated as food animals
- History and current day have proven that horse slaughter does not control the horse population or reduce neglect
- Animal abuse decreased from 2002-2004 during the years Cavel was shut down to rebuild after a fire Note: the cause was never determined
- Horse slaughter plants have been proven detrimental to communities – wastewater issues, devalued property values and loss of new business. Note: Cavel was never able to comply with wastewater regulations and can be verified by the DeKalb Sanitary District. See above picture.
That should get you started! We’ll provide a copy of the letter we send as well as info from other organizations sending letters and alerts.
Go get ’em, folks!
- Radical Wyoming Politician’s Horse Slaughter Plans Challenged in Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Anti-Horse Group Stumbles in Attempt to Justify Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Breaking News: ASPCA Research Confirms Americans Strongly Oppose Slaughter of Horses for Human Consumption (rtfitchauthor.com)
- When it comes to America’s Horses, Honesty is Not always the Best Policy (rtfitch.wordpress.com)
- Poll Finds Big Ag Horse Slaughter Promotion Has Backfired (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Saving Horses from Slaughter: NH Boy Blogs, Testifies before Legislature about why Practice must be Halted (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Chief Wyoming Horse-Eater Pawns Alleged Horse Slaughter Plant Off onto Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse-Eating Cult Attacks Children, Education and Learning Institutions (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Facts that Refute the 7 Most Common Myths about Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Equine Advocates Take Horse Slaughter Debate To Air Waves (rtfitch.wordpress.com)