Information supplied by Animal’s Angels
Middleburg Horse Auction, PA 1/28/12
Investigators attended the monthly horse auction in Middleburg, PA. There were approx 150 horses present in the pen area. The “slaughter prospects” were kept in groups of 4 – 6 horses per pen in the darkest area of the barn. Several of them were thin, one mule had a swollen hind leg and one chestnut mare had several open sores on her body. The sale started at 11:48am. The usual kill buyers Rotz and Moore were present and buying many of the horses under $500.00. An unknown buyer with the buyer number 500 was purchasing several horses the kill buyers didn’t want for as low as $10. Brian Moore was there with his large tractor/trailer and so was Bruce Rotz.
While the investigators were checking the parking lot, they noticed that the truck from Diamond K Ranch (kill buyer Arlow Kiehl) was also present. There were already several horses inside the trailer, including a not segregated stallion. Additionally, for the first time a Canadian truck from Capron Trucking in Ontario was observed. The truck was parked in front of Brian Moore’s truck and ready to load horses. Animals’ Angels will continue to monitor this auction.
Hoover Horse Auction, New Holland, PA 2/4/12
Animals’ Angels investigators arrived at the monthly auction at 8:40am. There were close to 350 horses in the barn and several more in an outside pen. Hoover announced prior to the sale that there were horses present from states as far away as Minnesota. The inside pens were packed full and horses were observed fighting and kicking. Several horses were quit thin. One pen contained a group of 17 mules and one of them had a bleeding eye injury. In most pens the plastic water buckets were empty. The outside pen, that had never been occupied during previous visits, contained horses without sales tags. They were standing in deep mud and we were told by an auction visitor that these horses would ship straight to slaughter. Kill buyer Bruce Rotz arrived with his stock trailer at 10:00am. His large tractor/trailer was parked empty at the New Holland Auction parking lot. Kill buyer Brian Moore arrived with his truck 10 minutes later.
- Illinois Politicians Try to Slaughter Horses, AGAIN! (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Breaking News: ASPCA Research Confirms Americans Strongly Oppose Slaughter of Horses for Human Consumption (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Chief Wyoming Horse-Eater Pawns Alleged Horse Slaughter Plant Off onto Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horses Aren’t The Only Victims (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse Trainer Sold Over 100 Horses To Canadian Slaughter House (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse Slaughter: No Steps Forward – Many Steps Back (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Dear Horse Advocate: An Open Letter from Former Mayor Paula Bacon (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Preventing Horse Slaughter – a Personal Evolution (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Saving Horses from Slaughter: NH Boy Blogs, Testifies before Legislature about why Practice must be Halted (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Congress Considering Ending Horse Slaughter Once And For All (rtfitchauthor.com)