Information gathered from multiple sources
Wild for Life Foundation releases a Case Study conducted on the number of Thoroughbreds that die at slaughter each year
The case study is based on data published by the U.S. government and the Jockey Club. According to the study, an amount equal to 70% of the annual Thoroughbred foal crop, on average, die at slaughter each year.
“The polls have shown that the vast majority of those in racing want an end to the transport of their horses to any slaughterhouse,” said Jo Anne Normile, founder of Saving Baby Equine Charity and CANTER, the first organization to take Thoroughbreds right from the track to safe havens. “But for every Secretariat, for every Seabiscuit, there are tens of thousands of racehorses whose experiences on the back lots of the country’s tracks tell a different story.”
“Without federal protection, aftercare programs cannot safeguard our horses from the harm of horse slaughter,” adds Katia Louise, President, Wild for Life Foundation. “It’s evident that more must be done by the industry, including a united stance supporting a federal ban on slaughter of horses for human consumption.”
Read more here including about Wild for Life
This study showing the astonishing numbers of Thoroughbreds slaughtered each year should be a wake up call to racing and the horse industry.
Animal Law Coalition joins Wild for Life Foundation and Americans Against Horse Slaughter, in calling for an auditable and industry funded after care program for rehabilitation, retraining and adoption for horses whose racing careers are over. We also join in recommending that the leaders of the equine industry resolve to support vigorously the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act and put an end to the travesty and tragedy of horse slaughter for human consumption.
- Update: Animal’s Angels Recent Horse Slaughter Auction Investigations (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Facts that Refute the 7 Most Common Myths about Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Radical Wyoming Politician’s Horse Slaughter Plans Challenged in Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Saving Horses from Slaughter: NH Boy Blogs, Testifies before Legislature about why Practice must be Halted (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Chief Wyoming Horse-Eater Pawns Alleged Horse Slaughter Plant Off onto Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Illinois Politicians Try to Slaughter Horses, AGAIN! (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Congress Considering Ending Horse Slaughter Once And For All (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Preventing Horse Slaughter – a Personal Evolution (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Texas Mayor Paula Bacon Kicks Some Horse Slaughter Tail (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Anti-Horse Group Stumbles in Attempt to Justify Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)