By Paula Bacon, former Mayor of Kaufman, TX
The Former Mayor of Kaufman, TX Gives Tips to Help the Horses
Dear Horse Advocate,
When I was mayor of a city with a horse slaughter plant, the support, information and backing of horse advocates encouraged me, strengthened my convictions— you were essential to me and frankly kept me going. I want to thank you for your advocacy for horses. It is because of you that elected officials feel compelled or wise to support a ban on horse slaughter.
You are receiving this email because of your advocacy and because one or more members of the House of Representatives from your state is a good candidate to support and/or co-sponsor H.R. 2966 banning horse slaughter. (Click HERE to find the Members that represent YOU)
This week congressional members are in their home districts. This is an important opportunity for us to speak to members directly rather than trying to work through young staffers in D.C.
Can you attend a public meeting or make an appointment to meet with the member this week? Also, do you know of other advocates in your state (constituents, friends, relatives of constituents, etc., in the member’s district) who could meet with the member?
It is very important. We need as many people as possible advocating a ban on horse slaughter to their legislators. We have strength in numbers.
Please call one of the Congressional member’s local district offices and find out when public meetings are scheduled for the representative. Or call and make an appointment to speak with the member personally this week. At a minimum, would you call, have others call, and speak directly with the member?
May I suggest that you choose and be ready with 3 major points, keeping your message simple and straightforward. You may want to thank the member for past support, and then to mention that…
- Recent polls show 80% of Americans support a federal ban on horse slaughter. Results crossed gender, political affiliation, urban and rural areas and geographic location. In our current political climate of divisiveness, a horse slaughter ban has broad political consensus.
- The cost to taxpayers is millions annually, yet the market is foreign as are plant interests/ownership. In these difficult economic times taxpayers would be forced to subsidize an un-American market with foreign interests and ownership that pays almost nothing literally in taxes and that represents a very small number of dangerous, minimal pay jobs, and which Americans do not support. This makes no sense.
- 99% of horse owners choose to euthanize rather than having their horse butchered; horse slaughter is not a service offered to mom & pop horse owners.
- Horse slaughter is not a service or euthanasia. According to the USDA, only 4% of horses at slaughter are 10 years old or older;
- The slaughter market encourages abandonment. Recent events in the news show horses rejected at the border are being dumped by kill buyers.
- Bring a copy of Trent Lott’s recent article on horse slaughter. Lott is a highly respected former Congressman. Your lawmaker is the perfect audience for Lott’s message. http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/politics/210585-preventing-horse-slaughter-a-personal-evolution
- If you have children’s letters, please share copies with the legislator; they are often very effective.
Practice your message aloud, anticipate concerns from your particular congressional representative. A concise, effective rebuttal may be simply, ‘That makes no sense when you consider that…’ Stay COOL. Emotional doesn’t help us.
“Write me, personally, for Paula’s email address at email@example.com”~ R.T.
- Texas Mayor Paula Bacon Kicks Some Horse Slaughter Tail (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Preventing Horse Slaughter – a Personal Evolution (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Facts that Refute the 7 Most Common Myths about Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Trucker tells chilling account of driving horses to slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- 14 Year Old Offers Solution in Beleaguered Horse Slaughter Debate (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Congress Considering Ending Horse Slaughter Once And For All (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Poll Finds Big Ag Horse Slaughter Promotion Has Backfired (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Anti-Horse Group Stumbles in Attempt to Justify Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- America’s Youth Appeal to Obama to End Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horseback Mag Banned from Horse Slaughter Summit (rtfitchauthor.com)