Humans, Horses, Homes and Barns Laid to Waste by Storms
More and more the sad news is coming in of horse owners who have lost all or almost all of their horses in the March 2, 2012 tornadoes, often along with their homes and barns. Many horses who were not already dead had to be euthanized due to severe injuries they had suffered. Injured horses, other pets, and livestock have been keeping veterinarians in the area very busy.
Rhonda and Bill McCardle, of Crittenden, Kentucky, have been running their McCardle’s Hidden Stables for 40 years, are one of those horse owners whose lives were devastated by the March 2 tornadoes. After the tornado hit their ranch two people who lived on their farm were killed, Donald and Linda Beemon, and their ranch laid in ruin with 15 of their horses dead, and the family dogs are unaccounted for.
Loose horses were roaming around in the area of Henryville and surrounding areas hit hard by tornadoes. Many of these horses were being rounded up and trailered to Saddle Up Arena, an equestrian show facility, in Madison, Indiana. There were mares with foals by their sides included in the group of about 40 horses that were taken to the facility. Each horse is being tagged with the identification of the area they were found in for owner reference. Due to the Clark State Forestry horse trails being located within the Henryville area there were many horse farms located in the areas that were hit hard by the tornadoes. It is hoped that these horses can be reunited with their owners.
Anyone missing horses from the Southern Indiana area hit by tornadoes can contact Kelly Carr of Saddle Up Arena at: 502-645-2304. Saddle Up Arena is located at 178 North Badger Road, Madison, IN.
Click (HERE) to visit Louisville.com and to Comment
- Tornadoes tear through midwest (boston.com)
- Rescue, cleanups continue in tornado zone, 39 dead (reuters.com)
- Watch: Tornadoes Devastate Marysville and Henryville in Southern Indiana (newsfeed.time.com)
- Twister cleanup follows ‘total devastation’ as search for victims wraps up (usnews.msnbc.msn.com)
- Devastating tornadoes tear across U.S. Midwest and South, killing at least 33 (news.nationalpost.com)
- Stunning Pictures Of Tornado Devastation In Middle America (businessinsider.com)
- Indiana Toddler Angel Babcock, Swept Away by Tornado, Dies (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Tornadoes cut violent path across U.S. leaving trail of destruction and 32 dead (theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com)
Categories: Horse News