“Oh Slaughterhouse $ue Wallis; How Sweet it IS!”
Links to all documents mentioned are at the end of this article
While I was at work yesterday, I received several calls about Wallis’ letter to the governor of New Mexico defending Chavez. In case this has you wondering, Animals’ Angels just released an investigation on Chavez. While I shouldn’t be surprised, I still can’t fathom how any human can treat any animal they way the meat business treats our horses. Then I read Wallis’ letter defending him. Needless to say, I lost it and John and Jo-Claire got the brunt of it. So rather than stew, I started writing.
While I was writing, Vivian Grant of International Fund for Horses [Tuesday’s Horse blog] sent me a little tid-bit that Nona Van Dam sent her. While we all know that Wallis is allergic to facts, if she had only done a bit of research, she wouldn’t have embarrassed herself, yet again. Seems dear ol’ Mr. Chavez has had quite a pattern of abusing horses as evidenced in AAs 6 years of investigations and a USDA FOIA from 2004-2005. That made her asinine comments trying to discredit Animals’ Angels even more absurd.
But how sweet it was today when I received the Animals’ Angels alert with the news that the Governor of NM, not only ignored Wallis but is asking the USDA to deny a Roswell meat company’s request for inspections. She also stated “”Despite the federal government’s decision to legalize horse slaughter for human consumption, I believe creating a horse slaughtering industry in New Mexico is wrong and I am strongly opposed.” And if that wasn’t enough, a spokesperson for the New Mexico Attorney General, Gary King, stated “A horse slaughtering plant in Roswell is a terrible idea. Such a practice, while not illegal, is certainly abhorrent to public sentiment, and I strongly suggest it be abandoned.”
Follow along here. The company that filed for horse inspections is Valley Meat Co. Jo-Claire got her hands on this bit of information from the USDA. On February 29, Valley Meats had their inspections temporarily suspended based on “failure to meet regulatory requirements in regards to the humane handling of animals at your establishment during slaughter.”
They can’t even operate their core business under existing regulations and want to take on horses?
Something I wasn’t aware of is that there is a federal law prohibiting horse slaughter in the same plant as other species. As a result, three applications have been denied by FSIS but the article doesn’t state who the applications were from.
So there you have it. A great day for our horses. And who said Friday the 13th is bad luck?
I’ve been pondering what to do with this so I decided to share it with all of you. I mysteriously received a copy of an email that was sent by Dave Duquette on February 22 to Randy Jannsen regarding the Mexican Rodeos. Mr. Jannsen has a website promoting horse tripping.
Now I know all of you are going to think I’ve gone off the deep end but I have to commend Dave for taking a stand on this. Yes, you heard that correctly. Somewhere in that bravdo and bs, there is a shred of humanity. What infuriates me with this is that he has admitted that horse tripping does indeed take place, is against it but let the welfare of horses take a back seat to his personal agenda just to prove a point. He knew and yet he fought like hell to make sure that horse tripping wasn’t banned in Nevada. For that, there is no excuse. I’m not going to share the email distribution list to protect the privacy of the recipients – only the text. I would advise just hanging on to this should they fight any further horse tripping bills.
“The United Horsemen will under no circumstances promote the re-instatement of Manganas in the form you would like it to be. We will and do support the right to have the Charreria Rodeo’s but in the case of intentionally tripping the horse is not in the best interest of the ALL equine events. The people we will support are the ones that rope them but do not pull tight and trip them.
Furthermore we believe the video’s you are circulating will do more harm than good for the image of the Charreria Association. We have been at this fight against the animal rights groups for quite some time now and have a fairly firm grasp of what should or shouldn’t be allowed.
Last year in our efforts to stop the Tripping Bills we were told that there was NO intentional tripping going on, since then we have heard about several Mexican Rodeo’s that have been doing it. Which not only hurts the credibility of the Charreria but also the United Horsemen, PRCA and others that fought so hard to stop these bills. These bills had much more far reaching consequences than just the event of manganas and that’s why so many organizations were ready and willing to fight them.”
Animals’ Angels Investigation:
USDA Chavez FOIA:
Animals’ Angels Alert on NM today
Valley Meats Suspension:
HSUS, Animal Protection of NM, ASPCA and Front Range Equine Rescue Press Release
NM Plant applies for inspections – 3 applications already denied
- Breaking News: Slaughter Plant in NM Plans to Butcher Horses (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Rogue Wyoming Legislator’s Husband Brands Equine Welfare Advocates as “Nazis” (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse Hating Wyoming Politician Sides with Known Animal Abuser (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse-Haters: Put Up or Shut Up (rtfitchauthor.com)
- The $2,000.00 Horse Slaughter Challenge (rtfitchauthor.com)
- HSUS Takes On Wyoming Horse-Eater, “Slaughterhouse” Sue Wallis (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Facts that Refute the 7 Most Common Myths about Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Media Update: Horse Slaughter Debate Comes to PBS/NPR Radio on Friday (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Preventing Horse Slaughter – a Personal Evolution (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Humane Groups Petition USDA to Block Companion, Working and Show Horses from Being Slaughtered for Human Consumption (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Horse Slaughter President and Buddy Reporter Concoct Another Story of Misinformation and Untruths (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Anti-Horse Group Stumbles in Attempt to Justify Horse Slaughter (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Chief Wyoming Horse-Eater Pawns Alleged Horse Slaughter Plant Off onto Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Breaking News: Summit of the Slaughter Horse Canceled (rtfitchauthor.com)
- UH President Caught Up in Web of Horse Slaughter Lies (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Animals’ Angels: Dennis Chavez Slaughter Horse Feedlot in New Mexico (rtfitchauthor.com)
- Radical Wyoming Politician’s Horse Slaughter Plans Challenged in Missouri (rtfitchauthor.com)